Critical mass;way to go.Blocking up roads is a lot of fun.

Matthew X profrv at nex.net.au
Fri Apr 30 21:51:46 PDT 1999

On 15th July, a bunch of people from activist groups Rising Tide and
Critical Mass met up on London's South Bank for a climate change bike ride
round the city centre. We were going to stop at five evil companies around
the capital to give them an award for fucking up our planet. Our first stop
was the International Finance Corporation, which is part of the World Bank.
It's right next to the Houses of Parliament - coincidence or what? We made
some noise outside, handed out leaflets and gave them the award. Next we
cruised off round Parliament Square. The 'Countryside Alliance' had a stall
there, and I gave them a couple of shouts of 'get a job'. Then it was up
Whitehall, through Trafalgar Square and on to the National Portrait
Gallery, which is sponsored by BP. Next we moved off to Enterprise IG in
Soho. These are the people responsible for BP's Helios awards, the in-house
awards given to BP employees who do a good job of making the company look
green and nice. We got a baffled response from the company's workers. They
had to be told by their boss to get back inside and close all the windows
(in case we bit?). We were on our way to Cromwell and Sullivan when some
dude in a BMW ran over one of the guys on a bike. Luckily he wasn't hurt,
even though the car had gone over his back wheel. The guy in the car looked
like he was gonna shit himself when thirty bikers pulled up around him. He
called the cops, who soon came and pestered everyone. Last of all, we went
to the BP Head Offices in Finsbury Circus. Here the cops were waiting for
us. British Transport Police had a dog unit and meat wagon ready. The
security people from BP were also waiting, even though we'd no intention of
raiding the place. The Azerbaijan PR man Ð sorry, 'Community Relations'
officer - came out to talk to us (the demo was mainly about BP's proposed
Azerbaijan pipeline). Eventually, everyone except from a couple of the
hardcore went off to the London Activist Resource Centre (LARC) in
Whitechapel. The hardcore stayed to play with the cops and nearly got
stopped for cycling the wrong way round a roundabout. It was a nice protest
- Critical Mass is so fucking empowering, I recommend everyone to try it.
Blocking up roads with a load of bikes, making noise and just cruising
around London  Rkn Anarchist Youth Network