Access to Storage and Communication Keys

Phil Helms phil at cccs.cccoes.edu
Tue Jun 10 11:26:40 PDT 1997

On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Bill Stewart wrote:

> and you have potentially decent business reasons for backup
> of storage keys, but that's only the case if you're not using
> a sufficiently flexible cryptosystem and are using key backup
> instead of data backup, which is really the preferred approach anyway.)

I could envision situations where you wouldn't want to backup plaintext,
but only ciphertext.  In those situations, key backup would also be
necessary.  This would require the use of passphrases or some other
tokens to utilize the backed up keys.

 Phil Helms                                  Internet: phil at cccs.cccoes.edu
 Community College Computer Services                    Phone: 303/595-1524
 Denver, Colorado                                         FAX: 303/620-4697