Access to Storage and Communication Keys

Kent Crispin kent at songbird.com
Tue Jun 10 11:49:14 PDT 1997

On Tue, Jun 10, 1997 at 12:12:36PM -0700, Phil Helms wrote:
> On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Bill Stewart wrote:
>
> > and you have potentially decent business reasons for backup
> > of storage keys, but that's only the case if you're not using
> > a sufficiently flexible cryptosystem and are using key backup
> > instead of data backup, which is really the preferred approach anyway.)
>
> I could envision situations where you wouldn't want to backup plaintext,
> but only ciphertext.  In those situations, key backup would also be
> necessary.  This would require the use of passphrases or some other
> tokens to utilize the backed up keys.

If you have data you wish to guard from disclosure I think that in
most circumstances you want to back up ciphertext.  It is a *lot*
cheaper to secure a piece of paper with a passphrase on it (in a safe
deposit box, for example) than it is guard a gigabyte of backup tapes.

--
Kent Crispin				"No reason to get excited",
kent at songbird.com			the thief he kindly spoke...