"Clinton has done a great deal for Intel"--more trolling

Tim May tcmay at got.net
Thu Jun 5 10:21:40 PDT 1997

At 1:03 AM -0700 6/5/97, Kent Crispin wrote:

>Clinton has a *very* successful career as a politician, and has done
>a great deal for Intel, in that role.  And he is a great family man
  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>who also gets along well with a host of people.

Another absurdity. Clinton is the President. There is _nothing_ of any
significance Intel has ever sought from the government. Except for the
government to get off its back.

When I was there the government was in fact very frustrated with Intel for
not entering the "mil-spec" market in any serious way. The government
wanted to buy 8080s, 8086s, etc., and we said, "Fine, send us an order.
We'll even charge you $500 more per chip if you want us to shake them
around at a lot of Gs, cook 'em in a pressure pot, and then stamp them
"MIL-SPEC."

We refused government contracts. I did some volunteer work (a few days) for
them on directed energy weapons, some work for DARPA and the Naval Research
Lab, but there was no charge for this, and certainly no "help" for Intel
from the then-President.

Intel also was a reluctant participant in the g-job labs, including the MCC
in Austin (never a real member), and only in the last few years has it
bowed to the inevitable by undertaking some joint efforts with the labs it
has so heavily been taxed for.

To call this "help from Clinton" is absurd.

(By the way, Andy Grove and Gordon Moore were supporters of Bush in '92 and
of Dole in '96. They actively opposed the "Clinton-friendly lobby" in the
Valley, the John Sculleys and whatnot who hobnobbed with Clinton. Clinton
I'm sure does not see Intel as his ally in any way.)

More trolling from Crispin. Why am I not surprised?

---Tim May