SAFE forum -- remarks of Herb Lin

Rich Graves llurch at networking.stanford.edu
Wed Jul 3 19:55:32 PDT 1996

On Wed, 3 Jul 1996, Herb Lin wrote:

> Folks -- I object to the characterization of my remarks about crime prevention
> being made with sarcasm.  The complete remark was "Crime prevention ought
> to be part of the FBI's mission, ... and it is -- ask them, and they acknowledge
>  that."

OK, sorry, my reading.  I'd certainly hate to jeopardize any professional
relationships by implying that you'd been poking fun at them on purpose.
There's already far too much distrust to go around.

As I recall, the sequence went "Crime prevention ought to be part of the
FBI's mission [audience snickers, Herb realizes what he just said and
smiles]... and it is -- ask them, and they acknowledge that."

The best standup comics are the genuine straight men, I guess. To avoid any
trouble, I'll be using that line *without* specific attribution from now on.

-rich