SAFE forum -- remarks of Herb Lin

Herb Lin hlin at nas.edu
Wed Jul 3 16:42:53 PDT 1996

Folks -- I object to the characterization of my remarks about crime prevention
being made with sarcasm.  The complete remark was "Crime prevention ought
to be part of the FBI's mission, ... and it is -- ask them, and they acknowledge
 that."

No sarcasm was intended; the basic point was, and is, that encryption has costs
from
the perspective of the authorized information collection efforts of law
enforcement, and benefits
from the perspective of preventing information crimes such as the compromise of
proprietary
business information.

I am not on the cypherpunks list, so if you want me to respond, pls copy me at
hlin at nas.edu.

herb
===