cypherpunks as a newsgroup

Ian Goldberg iagoldbe at csclub.uwaterloo.ca
Sat Sep 16 12:40:45 PDT 1995

In article <PysiBD7w165w at bwalk.dm.com>,
Dr. Dimitri Vulis <dlv at bwalk.dm.com> wrote:
>aba at dcs.exeter.ac.uk writes:
>> One thing I have been thinking would be nice would be a USENET
>> newsgroup, as mailing lists are a step away from easy access which
>> some people never make.
>
>This sounds like a very good idea to me, since I find the flood of
>e-mail from CP, much of it non-crypto-related, to be annoying. If
>this traffic were in a newsgroup, it would travel compressed over
>my phone line, and I might use a killfile on sstuff like the CO$ thread.
>
>Anything posted to the main cypherpunks mailing list and the spun-off mailing
>lists (steganogrpahy, remailers, nym servers, etc) could be posted to the
>newsgroup by maiking one of the mail2news gateways a subscriber.

That was my thinking exactly.  That's why I wrote just such a mail2news
gateway to a local newsgroup, csc.lists.cypherpunks (moderated, with
cypherpunks at toad.com as the moderator), as you can probably see in
the header.

This way, trn groups all articles with the same subject together,
and correctly threads articles that have References: or In-Reply-To:
headers.

As for the location, I'd agree with comp.security.cypherpunks.

Watch out, though; the list/group will probably get a much higher
readership as a newsgroup.  Although this is good for the
"make the public aware" goal, remember that, as far as I can tell,
September 1992 never ended.

I've been very impressed with the signal/noise ratio on this list.
In fact, people often put [NOISE] in the subject line to flag trivial
content.  This ratio will certainly go down if we go to a newsgroup.

One of the main benefits of Usenet is that anyone can _post_.
One of the main detriments is that _anyone_ can post.

   - Ian "that would have been much more elegant in Latin"