cypherpunks as a newsgroup

Alan Olsen alano at teleport.com
Sat Sep 16 13:41:36 PDT 1995

At 03:40 PM 9/16/95 -0400, Ian wrote:

>I've been very impressed with the signal/noise ratio on this list.
>In fact, people often put [NOISE] in the subject line to flag trivial
>content.  This ratio will certainly go down if we go to a newsgroup.

I have a group of friends who get forwarded the "best" of the Cypherpunks
list.  The signal to noise ratio is high enough that I have to be careful
how much I forward lest I get complaints at the volume of what I forward.
Turning this into an alt group would destroy that.

>One of the main benefits of Usenet is that anyone can _post_.
>One of the main detriments is that _anyone_ can post.

How true.
|             Visualize whirled keys              | alano at teleport.com   |
|"It's only half a keyserver. I had to split the  | Disclaimer:          |
|other half with the government man." - Black Art | Ignore the man       |
|   -- PGP 2.6.2 key available on request --      |  behind the keyboard.|
|         http://www.teleport.com/~alano          |       <fnord>        |