[communities] Campus Grids Workshop proposal

Laura F McGinnis lfm at psc.edu
Wed Jul 6 10:16:39 CDT 2005

Here is the text for the workshop proposal for GGF15. Please comment,
correct, etc. I believe there are also other names to be added to the
committee, but need to hear from people before I add them.

thx
LM

GGF15 Workshop Proposal - Campus Grids

Workshop Description: PGS-RG (Production Grid Services) is looking to
sponsor a full day of case studies from campus grid sites, describing their
grids. Harvard (Jay Sircar) has offered to host this workshop on their
campus, probably on Sunday, 1-October.  The cases that will be presented
should discuss how the grid came about, how they got funding and executive
buy-in/support, what it's used for, etc. We want to give each speaker a
good block of time to present their grid, but we're pretty open about how
the presenters define "campus". This leaves us open to include enterprise
and commercial grids, if they can demonstrate a campus-type perspective
(rather than special-purpose only grids). The full-day timeframe should
give each grid 30-45 minutes to present their case study.

To follow up, then, we'd like to host a series of panels at GGF15, to talk
about commonalities across the grids - formation methodologies, recruiting
applications, best/common practices, lessons learned & pitfalls, etc. The
pre-GGF workshop talks should be pretty parallel; the panels at GGF would
then cut across all of the grids, but addressing different issues in more
detail.

We want to get a good cross-section not only of presentations, but also of
participants, so part of the workshop planning will have to include
outreach to campuses that might not traditionally attend GGF meetings.

a) When you want meeting and how long: We are proposing a full-day workshop
on Sunday, 2 October 2005, the day before GGF15 opens. To facilitate
logistics, Jay Sircar of Harvard University has offered to host the
workshop on Harvard's campus. This is close enough to the GGF venue that
hotels and transportation should not be adversely complicated. We would
request that GGF arrange for the conference rate at the hotels to include
Saturday 1-October and Sunday, 2-October, to accommodate workshop participants.

b) How we or you advertise/estimate of interest: The calls for submissions
and participation should be extended to all GGF members as well as sites
involved in providing campus grids to their populations. We anticipate
50-100 attendees, based on past workshop experiences and the initial
interest expressed for this topic.

c) Related meetings: In addition to the workshop prior to the opening of
GGF, we would like to host a series of open discussions at GGF, for
workshop participants to discuss in more detail specific aspects of
providing production-quality campus grids.

d) Publication: The presentations and followup discussions will be
summarized into a GGF informational document. All presentations will be
made available on the PGS-RG website.

e) Workshop Committee:
Laura McGinnis, Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center, Co-chair PGS-RG - lfm at psc.edu
Judith Utley, Old Dominion University, Co-chair PGS-RG - jputley at earthlink.net
David Wallom, Bristol University, Co-chair PGS-RG - david.wallom at bristol.ac.uk
Jay Sircar, Harvard University - jsircar at harvard.edu

Laura F. McGinnis, Project Coordinator
Data & Information Resource Services
Pittsburgh Supercomputing Center                      email: lfm at psc.edu
4400 Fifth Avenue, # 409D                                  voice: 412-268-5642
Pittsburgh, PA  15213                                           fax:
412-268-8200