[cddlm] Interoperability testing problems

Steve Loughran steve_loughran at hpl.hp.com
Thu May 18 04:51:01 CDT 2006

Ayla Debora Dantas de Souza - Projeto Ourgrid wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> while performing interoperability tests, we have noticed that it is not
> possible to test others endpoint simply changing the Portal EPR.
> Besides, we must also use CDLs that work on the given implementation,
> and configure our tests with those CDLs. This happens because CodeBase
> and CommandPath are used in different ways between the implementations,
> as the Component Model allows that. Therefore, in order to perform some
> of the tests, we need CDLs that work on the each others implementation,
> or we need in the Test Plans a definition of a CDL that should work in
> all of them. For now, we have interchanged some CDLs with Satish to test
> the NEC implementation. Is this the correct way to proceed? We were not
> sure if this is a good way to test interoperability. Besides, we wanted
> to know what is the definition of interoperability we will use in order
> to show that two different implementations interoperate.
>
> Thanks,
>  Ayla

I think we are going to need some well known components, at well-known
URLs, that every implementation can import.

We could have some .cdl file you can import from some URI that is
clearly *not* a simple URL:

urn:isbn:0-201-6198-0    (isbn no of Distributed Systems 3rd edition.
Collouris & Dollimore; it was within arms reach)

in here we could implement some standard things to

-create files, dirs, delete them
-assert facts

then you can deploy stuff that import and extend the base components.
There's no need to worry about the differences in command path, or the
differences in platform. That gets handled in the base .cdl files, which
we can write together and then extend. That is, every team has a custom
urn:isbn:0-201-6198-0 that could be something like

<cdl:cdl>
	<cdl:import location="urn:isbn:0-201-6198-0" />
        <cdl:configuration
		xmlns:base="urn:isbn:0-201-18059-6"
		xmlns:ext="urn:isbn:0-201-6198-0">
	<ext:touch cdl:extends="base:touch" >
	         <cmp:commandPath>...</cmp:commandPath>
         </ext:touch>
	<ext:fileExists cdl:extends="base:fileExists" >
	         <cmp:commandPath>...</cmp:commandPath>
         </ext:fileExists>

	</cdl:configuration>
<cdl:cdl>

Behind that there is some base cdl file that we can keep in CVS, one
that defines the abstract components

<cdl:cdl>

        <cdl:configuration xmns:base="urn:isbn:0-201-18059-6">  <!--
C&D, 1st edition -->

	<base:touch  >

         </base:touch>

	<base:fileExists >
		<minimumSize>0</minimumSize>
         </base:fileExists>

	</cdl:configuration>
<cdl:cdl>

I'm thinking of file operations as they are generally useful, and nicely
side effecting.
<