[cddlm] canonicalization/serialization standards

Hiro Kishimoto hiro.kishimoto at jp.fujitsu.com
Mon May 15 05:52:51 CDT 2006

Hi Jun,

As I told you at GGF17, the following is the text from OGSA WSRF BP 1.0.
Good and bad canonicalization/serialization standards for XML doc.

> Several specifications defining canonicalization/serialization
> algorithms have been developed: Canonical XML [XML-C14N], Exclusive
> XML Canonicalization [XML-Exc-C14N] and
> [SchemaCentric-XML-C14N].  The first two specifications have
> well known issues that make them unsuitable for serialization (except
> in the most limited of use cases). [SchemaCentric-XML-C14N]
> addresses these issues. For a complete discussion of the limitations
> of Canonical XML and Exclusive XML Canonicalization see
> [SchemaCentric-XML-C14N] section 1.1.

[SchemaCentric-XML-C14N] B. Atkinson, S. Aissi, M. Hondo (ed.), Schema
Centric XML Canonicalization, OASIS Committee Specification, 10 July
2002. http://www.uddi.org/pubs/SchemaCentricCanonicalization-20020710.htm

[XML-C14N] J. Boyer (ed.) Canonical XML W3C Recommendation, March 2001
http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/REC-xml-c14n-20010315
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3076.txt

[XML-Exc-C14N] J. Boyer, D. Eastlake, and J. Reagle (ed.) Exclusive XML
Canonicalization W3C Candidate Recommendation, 12 February 2002
http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/CR-xml-exc-c14n-20020212

--
Hiro Kishimoto