[cddlm] RE: Latest version of the component model

Stuart Schaefer Sschaefer at softricity.com
Thu May 19 10:41:44 CDT 2005

Bryan,

Thank you for your assistance.  I fixed most of what you have commented
on.  I am still not comfortable with the different namespace revisions
between published specs that we are relying on, but I have fixed the
document to reflect the actual XSD.

Really only one question below on the WSDM StateCapability.

Regards,

Stuart

This was part of stock material created for all documents.  Changed.

> section 3.4: The last para discusses linking lifecycles of
> related components but does not say how this is done. More
> speciifc rules should be stated for when a system component
> can transition between states based on the states of some of
> its dependent components transition.

The actual discussion is in Section 5.  I put in a reference.  Section 3
is designed as a non-normative overview of the component model.  Not a
place for rules.

> Section 4.1: The example in 4.1 is not compliant with the
> schema fragment in 4.1.3 because it is not possible to have a
> string as a child node of the CommandPath element unless
> mixed="true" is added to the commandPathType complexType. The
> end element is 'simpleType' whereas the start element is
> 'complexType'.

This is fixed.

> In CDL documents, sometimes the cdl prefix is used and
> sometimes it is not - better to be consistent.

I changed all documents to be full CDL fragments with the cdl:system
elements.

> section 4.4.1.3 (and others): The type 'lifecycleStateType'
> is used, but this type is not declared in the XML schema.
> Should this be muws-p2-xsd:StateType? Also, near the end of
> the section there is a schema fragment for ApplyingPolicy. I
> think this should be defined as
> follows:
> <xs:element name="ApplyingPolicy"
> type="muws-p2-xsd:StateType"/> I think with this definition
> it is still possible to have the instance definition listed,
> but the xsi:type attribute is not necessary.

The schema was updated, but not copied into the document.  It has been
fixed.  The cmp:lifecycleStateType is an extension of the
muws-p2-xs:StateType.  Not sure about the xsi:type.

> section 4.4.2.2: If a set of operations go together it is not
> necessary to use a separate interface for each operation.

The actions don't all go together, as some are declared in WS-RF and
some are component model specific.

> section 4.4.2.3: I would recommend that additional operations
> be decalred directly in WSDL rather than having a "do it"
> operation to provide additional capabilities. This allows a
> client to discover what the service is capable of through
> examining the WSDL rather than not having any means of
> discovering what the service is capable of if all other
> operations go through RunTask.

The RunTask action is not meant to replace an implementers ability to
define operations in WSDL.  It is meant as a well-known endpoint for
simple, internal tasks to be accomplished.

> section 4.5.4: DeploymentFault is not declared in the schema.

As above, copied the schema.

> Section 4.6.1.1: ComponentLifecycleEvents sound a lot like
> StateCapability Events defined by MUWS part 2. See section 3.2.6.

They are exactly StateCapability Events.  Just using the
cmp:LifecycleTransition derivative of muws-p2-xs:StateTransition.  Does
that mean I have to declare it as a StateCapability event??  Won't a
WSDM  consumer recognize it, as its types correlate correctly?

> Section 4.6.1.2: WS-BaseNotification defines an implicit
> topic for every mutable property. The notification define in
> baseN contains the old and new values and is placed in a MUWS
> ManagementEvent in the extension location.

The current draft does.  Not the version I have been using.  Why would
WS-BaseNotification require the use of WSDM MUWS?

> section 4.6.2.1: Dangling "The". It is not clear where the
> On* elements go - is it in a CDL doc? It looks like most of
> the On* events are shortcuts for subscription to the generic
> state transition event with a filter for a specific state.

Yes.

> section 8.1.6: ImplementsMessageSet is not defined in the
> schema and no reference is provided to where it might be defined.

Removed.  Should have been purged earlier.