[cddlm] CDL: question about attributes and namespaces

Steve Loughran steve_loughran at hpl.hp.com
Fri Jun 24 07:37:52 CDT 2005

Imagine I have a base declaration of a component, say

     <cmp:OnFault cdl:extends="cmp:Notification" faultName=""
faultType="" />

now, imagine I extend that in a new namespace

Should I put the attributes in the namespace of the component I extend

     <tns:MyFault cdl:extends="cmp:OnFault"
cmp:faultName="DeploymentFault"  />

Or can they be left as is:

     <tns:MyFault cdl:extends="cmp:OnFault" faultName="DeploymentFault"  />

That is, when we merge attributes, do we use the full QName, or just the
localname. I know it would appear to make sense to use the full qname,
but the trend to use unqualified attributes may cause confusion here. I
know my parser already warns whenever it hits an unqualified extends=""
attr, as that is often a result of me forgetting that namespace....

-steve