[CCGT] Checking the pulse of the Community Council

Gregory Newby newby at arsc.edu
Thu Sep 8 16:58:05 CDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 08, 2005 at 04:02:49PM -0500, Geoffrey Fox wrote:
> I sent the enclosed notes on a possible organization of community council
> But I got no response. I wonder if that meant
> a) Things are chugging along and organization is not important
> b) You were so amazed by brilliance of plan that you can't put words to
> email
> c) The plan seemed same as before
> d) You were so amazed by stupidity of plan that you can't put words to email
> e) You are too busy right now
> f) ggf emails are on your SPAM filter list
>
> -----------------------------------
> I welcome comments on these thoughts and suggested reorganization whose
> main ideas are:
> A Community Plan designed to support communities rather than  just
> exploiting GGF events
> Splitting of council roles into an advisory board and area directors as
> expediters

I think your ideas are right-on, Geoffrey.  Highlights for me:

- success @ GGF14
- need more & smaller events
- lack of GGF credibility/presence at some ongoing projects
  is a problem
- high overhead for GFSG participation for likely community
  leaders is a problem

>From my point of view, I'd say that the Community Council is
already empowered to take most (nearly all) of the steps
you mentioned.  Some sort of 18-month calendar of possible
activities, and expected changes in the status quo, would
be good to present to the GFSG, perhaps at the upcoming f2f
at GGF15.

One thing that is not so clear to me: how has recruiting
gone for bringing in more people with ideas for community
events, making community ties, and the like?  It seems the
NOMCOM made some progress, but your PPT points out that there
needs to be a lot of activity that won't originate in
the GFSG (or community advisory council).
  -- Greg