[CCGT] GGF-14 Workshops and near-term action

Julie Wulf-Knoerzer wulf at mcs.anl.gov
Thu Mar 24 18:35:49 CST 2005

Hi all,

I expect to have a better idea of space available for the community track
and/or workshops at GGF-14 shortly but in the meantime, it is my
understanding that the community council is 'endorsing' the following
workshops thus far (please let me know if there are others):
*Life Sciences (1/2 day),
*Science Gateway Portal (full day).

Something that I would like clarification on is the GGF-14 process for
handling workshop submissions from other Research Groups.  Amidst this
transitional phase, it is important that we inform the RG Chairs/GFSG of
our plans as soon as possible.  In Geoffrey's absence, I will be reporting
the community council activities on next week's GFSG call and if possible,
I would like to have a proposal for GFSG discussion before then.  Should we
use the GROC model for GGF14?  Your insight is greatly appreciated.

According to my notes from our face-to-face, below are the Community
Council's short-term actions:

*Act as GGF-14 Program Committee with the goal of exposing the applications
community to grid solutions, specifically:
         -Create a set of rooms (or, 2 one-day academic tracks),
         -Recruit groups (software providers?) for a 'SUPER WORKSHOP' track
by a) reviewing where we are with RGs, b) identify candidate areas, c) hope
that they pan-out for GGF-14.
*DAVE, CHARLIE, SATOSHI, CRAIG are prepared this week to begin looking at
this track concept for GGF14 with Julie providing support where needed.
*By Early June:  Area leaders write a community charter doc for their area.
*By Late June:  GCF compile charter docs to formulate into GGF
Participation Guide for GGF14.

More comprehensive notes to follow (Geoffrey and I are currently iterating
them) but I just wanted to be sure that you had the near-term portion.

In other news, on Tuesday's GFSG call, there was discussion of an events
committee telecon (involving Mark, Geoffrey, Malcolm, Steve and Ann).  I do
not believe this has happened yet but I expect the community council's role
in GGF-14 and GGF-15 programs to become more defined in the near future.

Thanks,
Julie

***New contact information as of 16-Feb***
Julie Wulf-Knoerzer
Manager of Community Development
wulf at ggf.org
ph. 630/252-7163