[Capi-bof] Current charter and last call for changes.

Richard Davies richard.davies at elastichosts.com
Fri Mar 27 05:45:00 CDT 2009

I'm joining this discussion a little late, but wanted to comment, given
that ElasticHosts is one of the key existing RESTful APIs referenced,
and we're looking forward to working with this OGF effort.

We've reviewed this charter, and are pleased with the proposed scope and
timings - we hope that this group can produce a great standard.

Only one point in the text: it states "In particular, storage and
networking details beyond creation and mapping of mount points and
interfaces respectively is specifically excluded".

We're keen that the standard should cover specifying the number,
connectivity and possible static IPs for network interfaces. For
example, "a VM has two interfaces, one on a private VLAN with IP
allocated by DHCP, and one on the public internet with static IP of
X.X.X.X."

This is critical to support multi-tier web applications, etc. and is
supported in most existing vendor APIs (e.g. our own
www.elastichosts.com/products/api, but also GoGrid, Amazon Elastic IP, etc.)

Looking at the e-mail achieve, I believe that you have had this
discussion (Michael Richardson, and Sam Johnston) and did agree that all
of what I mention is in fact in scope. Can we update the wording to
capture this? e.g.

"Storage details beyond creation and mapping of mount points is
specifically excluded. Networking details are similarly excluded beyond
creation and mapping of interfaces, assignment of these to public or
private networks and assignment of dynamic or static IPs."

Cheers,

Richard.