[Capi-bof] Charter - last call for changes

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Wed Mar 25 11:40:32 CDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 5:03 PM, Michael Richardson <mcr at sandelman.ca>wrote:

>  I would suggest that layer-3 configuration is simply out of scope.
> Layer-3 configuration is not a problem unique to cloud computing: a
> cabinet/bay full of servers has exactly the same problems as a cloud of
> virtual machines.
>
>  What is in scope layer-1 and layer-2 configuration, which historically
> was physical, and therefore a "local consideration" before.

Actually layer 2 (data-link/MAC) is usually burnt into the VM and layer 3
(network/IP) is automagically allocated, usually via DHCP (either dhcpd
running on an internal/virtual network segment or some external dhcp service
on a bridged segment).

So what we're really talking about here is restricting this to layer 1
(physical) - a virtual wiring cabinet of sorts. The proposed tag option
allows for arbitrarily complex configurations (including vendor extensions
for runtime concerns like enabling CDP) - the only real remaining question
is whether it's interesting to allow multiple tags per interface.

Does that all sit well with you? We agree that the workloads are essentially
immutable.

Sam