[Capi-bof] Charter - last call for changes

Edmonds, AndrewX andrewx.edmonds at intel.com
Wed Mar 25 09:23:20 CDT 2009

Yes Sam, customer/client facing APIs are what I am referring to. And without respect to the WG charter, I agree on the notion (the “what” not “how”) of requesting a compute resource(s) of some kind via programmatic interaction. With respect to the actual charter if it is needed and it seems so according to David, then we need to be specific in the charter but then in further works (specification etc) we can be more generic and move from notions like “provisioning virtual machines” to “provisioning resources of a particular type”.  Any API that dictates how resources can be created, managed and destroyed must not include any specific hypervisor specifics and so on this aspect, I’d agree again with Sam.

I think if we are to be specific within the charter description then perhaps we move from referring to virtual machines to virtual resources, in that way we avoid introducing confusion with hypervisor technology to which virtual machines are tightly associated with.

Regarding what goes on inside the cloud or I guess more specifically in our case the infrastructure provider, I’d agree that we shouldn’t be concerned with that.

Andy