[Capi-bof] Charter - last call for changes

Sam Johnston samj at samj.net
Wed Mar 25 04:57:05 CDT 2009

On Wed, Mar 25, 2009 at 10:34 AM, David Snelling <
David.Snelling at uk.fujitsu.com> wrote:

> So let's focus on VM, but leave extensibility in place so this spec could
> be used inside the cloud.

I think we all agree that what goes on inside the cloud is of absolutely no
concern to us - Cisco's Unified Computing System is a great example of the
type of innovation that will take place under the covers and as a consumer
all I want is to get just enough resources to run my workload as efficiently
as possible. It's worth mentioning that as an independent consultant
(working with large eurpean enterprises) my view is predominately that of a
consumer; like Alexis I don't have any associations with any
product/provider that might restrict my view.

What Andy (if I understand well) and I are talking about is a *
consumer-facing* cloud service that defines *what* is delivered without
placing arbitrary (and thus far completely unjustified) restrictions on
*how* it is delivered. For those of us already working in the
not-too-distant future the VM is a necessary albeit temporary evil and a
legacy that will with any luck be shed before too long.

For example, where I span a .Net product across Windows VMs today it is
likely that I will be pushing it out to Azure tomorrow. The operating system
is for most applications unnecessary cruft (with significant resource
overhead) that still needs to be deployed and maintained, and the sooner it
gets put out of its misery the better.

Given the rate of change in the industry at the moment it is not
inconcievable that any VM-specific API started today could be obsolete by
launch, and I have already demonstrated at least three providers who could
benefit from this API if we shed the proposed restrictions now.

Sam