[Capi-bof] Charter discussion & get the CAPI group started.

Thijs Metsch Thijs.Metsch at Sun.COM
Mon Mar 9 08:00:57 CDT 2009

Hi @all,

I would like to start the discussion on our charter for this group. At
the same time we can start to gather some ideas on how to start the work
on the standard. Sorry for the issue that this is a rather long
email :-)

First we need to get our charter fixed (consisting of a text section,
timeline and some questions). This is some OGF thing we need to get
done :-) Currently is looks like:

--- start ---
Virtualization has brought about a new utility computing model, called
"Infrastructure-as -a-Service" (IaaS) cloud computing, for the on-demand
provision of virtualized resources as a service. There are several
examples of cloud providers of elastic capacity, offering an interface
for remote management of virtualized server instances within their
proprietary infrastructure. Equally, there is now growing interest in
open-source cloud-computing tools that, providing commercial cloud
compatible interfaces, let organizations build and customize their own
cloud infrastructure.

This group inside OGF will try to work on the development of an API
specification for the dynamic deployment, using an appropriate
descriptor language, controlling and monitoring of virtual machines. The
scope of the specification will be all the high level functionality
required for the life-cycle management of virtual machines which is
needed to support automated service elasticity. The new specification
will facilitate the integration of the service management components
that are being built on top of cloud infrastructures.
--- end ---

Does this address the thing we want to do? Is anything more needed?

Also 7 questions need to be answered to get the group ready. Currently
the chairs answers are as followed:

1. Is the scope of the proposed group sufficiently focused?

Yes. We will define and standardize an API to access infrastructure
Cloud facilities, including virtualized resources deployment,
monitoring, and management.

2. Are the topics that the group plans to address clear and relevant for
the Grid research, development, industrial, implementation, and/or
application user community?

Yes. Currently no Group inside of OGF addresses these features and
ideas. Cloud computing has already gathered a large user group which
should be addressed in this working group. We believe that Grid and
cloud are complementary computing paradigms that will coexist in future
infrastructures.

3. Will the formation of the group foster (consensus-based) work that
would not be done otherwise?

Yes, some groups try to create similar approaches but have not succeeded
yet. Within OGF this initiative is unique and forms a great opportunity
to fastly create a standard for research and industry.

(Currently I am aware of the following other groups:

OMG Efforts:

http://www.omg.org/news/meetings/tc/dc/special-events/Cloud_Computing_Interoperability.htm

SNIA Efforts:

http://groups.google.com/group/snia-cloud/

http://www.snia.org/events/wintersymp2009/cloud/

Misc:

http://groups.google.com/group/cloudforum
http://groups.google.com/group/unifiedcloud
)

4. Do the group's activities overlap inappropriately with those of
another OGF group or to a group active in another organization such as
IETF or W3C?

No. Currently no identical efforts are made.

5. Are there sufficient interest and expertise in the group's topic,
with at least several people willing to expend the effort that is likely
to produce significant results over time?

Yes. Several industrial leaders and research projects in the Cloud
ecosystem have stated their interest and are willing to help.

6. Does a base of interested consumers (e.g., application developers,
Grid system implementers, industry partners, end-users) appear to exist
for the planned work?
Yes. Many research projects and community groups are talking about a
standard for Cloud computing.

7. Does the OGF have a reasonable role to play in the determination of
the technology?

Yes. The OGF forms standards for the Grid Computing. While cloud
computing mostly builds on technologies derived from Grid computing many
conjunctions can be seen. Currently also many research and industrial
key players within OGF picked up the Cloud computing idea.

This rounds up the first 7 questions and my ideas.

Within the near future I would like to get a telcon together so we can
discuss the charter and start of with some ideas about a standard. So
the agenda might look like:

- charter discussion
- discussion about cooperating with other groups (e.g. google groups
etc)
- first ideas about a standard (and the question where to start)

Please state your ideas about this issues and if you have some share
your ideas about a standard on this mailinglist.

All the best,

-Thijs

--
Thijs Metsch                        Tel: +49 (0)941 3075-122 (x60122)
http://blogs.sun.com/intheclouds
Dr.-Leo-Ritter-Str. 7               mailto:thijs.metsch at sun.com
D-93049 Regensburg                  http://www.sun.com