[caops-wg] GFD.125 to P-REC?

David Groep davidg at nikhef.nl
Fri Aug 5 11:08:54 CDT 2011

Hi Mike Jens,

On 2011-08-05 16:40, Jens Jensen wrote:
> I think the consensus was that there should not be substantial changes
> to the document because it would then need to start a long review
> process again.

That's what I remember as well ...

> OTOH, I would think a few minor changes should be OK,
> provided we add a little changelog at the end. (From SHOULD to MUST is
> not a big step...?)

Apart from the fact that this attribute is most harmful for EECs
(and not for issuer DNs), I think that in general a "SHOULD" -> "MUST"
change *is* a significant change, given the way RFC2119 interprets these.
And, yes, emailAddress is very, very annoying in subject DNs, but
there /are/ ways around it (listing each user twice in all lists that
are string-representation based), and as such a MUST may not be warranted.

Also: there is a derived implication of changing to "MUST". Since
for the IGTF the Authentication Profiles reference this requirement,
it imples that all accredited have to comply within 6 months (as per
the accreditation guidelines for the EUGridPMA at least). This puts
a very strict requirement on the CAs where there is no current
operational show-stopper. Should that be the side-effect or result of
transitioning GFD.125 from GFD.I to P-REC?

I would save this change for a next iteration ...

	Cheers,
	DavidG.