[caops-wg] Name Constraints - attempt at framing issues

David Chadwick d.w.chadwick at kent.ac.uk
Sun Oct 16 07:01:11 CDT 2005

Cowles, Robert D. wrote:

> As I have said before, the purpose of a CA it to be sure that if
> it is issuing a certificate either the DN has not been used before
> by that CA or it can verify that it is issuing the Cert to the
> same person as used the DN before.  Unfortunately, this means
> storing Personally Identifiable Information so you can have
> something to check at time of renewal / re-issue ... and we are
> being required to have more and more protection associated with
> any PII we retain.

Well no-one said it was an easy task being a CA!. I would expect the CA
to keep copies of all the documents on which it made its decision
(photocopies of passports, ID cards or whatever) plus an audit of the
messages that were exchanged.

regards

David

> Bob Cowles

David W. Chadwick, BSc PhD
The Computing Laboratory, University of Kent, Canterbury, CT2 7NF
Tel: +44 1227 82 3221
Fax +44 1227 762 811
Mobile: +44 77 96 44 7184
Email: D.W.Chadwick at kent.ac.uk