Name Constraints, was Re: [caops-wg] Re: ca signing policy file

Frank Siebenlist franks at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Oct 12 17:52:57 CDT 2005

Typo... try again:

> Can you explain name collisions cannot occur?

Careful... I said "should not", not "cannot"...

CA's are supposed to "know" not to overstep their issuing boundaries
through secret handshakes and such.

This means that when you allow multiple CAs to issue random numbers as
names for subjects, those CAs should have some agreement that none of
their fellow CAs should issue the same random number to a different
person/entity. There are some technical solutions that could help to
prevent collisions, but the main issue is one of policy conformance.

-Frank.

Frank Siebenlist               franks at mcs.anl.gov
The Globus Alliance - Argonne National Laboratory