[BYTEIO-WG] Document process / FLE's slate on the Experience document

Michel Drescher Michel.Drescher at uk.fujitsu.com
Mon Oct 15 18:49:07 CDT 2007

Hi Andre,

On 15 Oct 2007, at 16:30, Andre Merzky wrote:

> Hi Michel,
>
>> Secondly, and that's what this mail is mainly all about, I had a chat
>> with Greg Newby about the documents process regarding ByteIO.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> 2) The Experience document we are writing at the moment will go
>> through its own PC period as normal. How ever, this document will
>> explicitly mention and document that as a result of the interop
>> tests, we had to change the XML rendering for the Specification,
>> hence obsoleting the relevant appendices of the Functional Spec and
>> the WSRF rendering, where appropriate, The document then will also
>> explicitly mention that the online version of the XML and WSDL will
>> reflect the latest version of the XML and WSDL.
>>
>> 2.1) We therefore need to add a chapter to the Experience document
>> that describes the changes to the XML and WSDL as outlined above.
>> THat way, we update the spec without having to go through the fairly
>> heavyweight process of a new set of requirements documents.
>
> Well, that is interesting.  But how is a consumer of the
> ByteIO spec to find out that the original spec document is
> actually outdated, and that the new updated spec is found in
> the appendix of the Experience document?

Actually, the original spec is not the final spec. What we have is a
*proposed* recommendation, though expected to be pretty stable. But
there's got to be a process for cases like ours which I think is not
or will not be so uncommon.

The detailed process is actually not really fixed, and if you have
time please comment on that in the current PC for GFD.1.

Cheers,
Michel