[BYTEIO-WG] Notes from the OGSA ByteIO session at OGF19

Michel Drescher Michel.Drescher at uk.fujitsu.com
Sat Feb 10 05:01:07 CST 2007

Hi Andre,

Andre Merzky wrote:
> [...]
>
>   All implementations of this specification SHOULD implement
>   the following Partial File Transfer ERET module:

>     offset::= string representation of a positive 64 bit integer
>     length::= string representation of a positive 64 bit integer
>
>   Note that the offset specified here is the offset in the
>   file and is not related to the offset specified in the
>   MODE E header, which is the offset in the transfer over
>   the wire.

Saw this for the first time.

But even so, this is an *optional* feature, something we cannot rely on. In
HTTP for example, partial data transfer is a MUST, so it is feasible to
define a profile for HTTP as each compliant implementation will offer that
feature.

What sense does it make to define a rendering for a feature that is
optional in the underlying transport protocol?

Cheers,
Michel

--
Fujitsu Laboratories of Europe