[BYTEIO-WG] Notes from the OGSA ByteIO session at OGF19

Andre Merzky andre at merzky.net
Fri Feb 9 13:05:40 CST 2007

Hi Neil,

Quoting [Neil P Chue Hong] (Jan 31 2007):

> Notes from OGSA-ByteIO Session at OGF19, Chapel Hill
>
> [...]
>
> With GridFTP, because of the lack of partial transfer you could implement
> something in which the first time you talk to the service, you get sent
> back information to gridftp the whole thing (file?), then store it locally
> and access chunks back on client - could implement this but it is a silly
> way to do it. Basically GridFTP is targetted to moving the whole chunk of
> data, whereas ByteIO targetted to being cleverer at getting just the bytes
> it needs.

Maybe I am missing something here, but GridFTP as protocol
_does_ support partial file access, doesn't it?   It is not
implemented in all GridFTP servers though AFAIK.

The spec says (I may not have the latest version though,
will check):

  All implementations of this specification SHOULD implement
  the following Partial File Transfer ERET module:

    offset::= string representation of a positive 64 bit integer
    length::= string representation of a positive 64 bit integer

  Note that the offset specified here is the offset in the
  file and is not related to the offset specified in the
  MODE E header, which is the offset in the transfer over
  the wire.

Cheers, Andre.

--
"So much time, so little to do..."  -- Garfield