[byteio-wg] [byteio-wg | ByteIO Specification - 1668] Why do you not provide for a method to read from negative offsets in the RandomByte interface?

Sourceforge Tracker Monitor noreply at forge.gridforum.org
Fri Oct 28 11:34:10 CDT 2005

Neil Chue Hong changed 1668 on 2005-10-28 17:34:10

Close Date has changed: - New: '2005-10-28 17:34:10'   Old: '-'
Status has changed: - New: 'Closed'   Old: 'Open'

Respond by visiting: https://forge.gridforum.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=824&aid=1668&group_id=154 (https://forge.gridforum.org/tracker/?func=detail&atid=824&aid=1668&group_id=154)

ISSUE: Why do you not provide for a method to read from negative offsets in the RandomByte interface (i.e. read from the end of the file)?
DISCUSSION: We've assumed that the client knows where they wants to seek in the file and if the client wants this functionality that it knows what the total file size is and can calculate appropriate the offset. Our model for RandomByte assumes that the web service is simple and client is complex.
SOLUTION: Check that this is made clear in spec

Comment By: Neil Chue Hong (2005-10-28 17:34:10)
This has been clarified in th 28/10/05 version with the following footnote:

"A method to read from negative offsets (i.e. read from the end of the file) is not provided. It is assumed if required, the client can calculate the appropriate offset from the total file size. Our model for RandomByte in general assumes that the web service is simple and client is complex."

View the ByteIO Specification : https://forge.gridforum.org/tracker/index.php?func=browse&group_id=154&atid=824 (https://forge.gridforum.org/tracker/index.php?func=browse&group_id=154&atid=824)