[acs-wg] Security

Michael Behrens behrens at r2ad.com
Sat Aug 6 10:23:34 CDT 2005

<>I was able to talk with Rebekah last week.  She is not currently
involved with GGF however she worked on a security issue using grids for
her Masters and was involved with the OGSA-Auth-WG at that time.  She is
an OASIS member and has participated in the security groups.

The entire WS security architecture seems overly complex to me and is
focused on static definitions or rules.  There are some efforts to
simplify the process with a new spec called WSPL - we'll need to
research that.

If a "service" wants to enforce access, then SAML+XACML can be used.
Some services would most likely provide their own policy enforcement
point (PEP), requiring that the service provide an auxillary service
which would be SAML compliant.  Therefore, it seems that an ACS
implemetnation might need to implement one.
<>
It seems that "attributes" are more important than identity and roles in
the WS Security mindset.  I believe the thought is that roles are just
other attributes and identity is a unique set of attributes. Someone
please correct me here if this is wrong or overly simplified.   This
contrasts with the J2EE world where roles can be declared by the web.xml
and then used externally to block requests or within the authenticated
request processing internally for authorization decisions
(isUserInRole() method).

Whether or not an ACS implementations provides a PEP service might be
irrelavant as long as the provided XACML can be passed along and
processed - so perhaps it can be just an implemtation detail and our
spec only needs to ensure that a security policy document (using a
generic term) can be supplied and updated.