Cherry Torn

Sun Sep 10 09:17:55 PDT 2023

On 9/10/23, pro2rat at yahoo.com.au <pro2rat at yahoo.com.au> wrote:
> Bitcoin, TOR, bittorent & APster, all have plausible deniability as Cpunk
> projects.
>
> Bram may disagree but Btc wasn't released here. Tor is govt originally &
> Dumbell keeps telling us he doesn't owe us a damn thing.

I think by “dumbbell” that PR is meanly (“dumbbell” is slang for
“idiot”) referring to whoever made/makes bittorrent.

Bittorrent happened in the rush of p2p filesharing apps after Napster
was targeted and taken down. Most of these apps were fully
decentralized and provided for global searching. Bittorrent was not
like this — it used a centralized server for coordinating peer
sharing, which gave it a few orders of magnitude tighter points of
failure and easier enumeration and filtering of peers, and it relied
on third party tools and hosts for searching for files, which produced
an ecosystem of semiprivate communities sharing its .torrent index
files.

The more network-robust and easy-to-access filesharing apps never
gained popularity, but Bittorrent became popular and is still in
reasonably wide use. It now has more decentralized approaches for peer
sharing and searching bandaided on, but the solutions may still be
incomplete.

I’m guessing the avoidance of global search helped Bittorrent find a
niche of success more than the avoidance of full decentralization,
partly due to the use of existing mainstream networks to index and
share its identifiers. It possibly had to engage a situation where it
needed to both be found, and avoid concerns, at the same time.