[wg-all] Help celebrate 25 years of grid computing during SC'23

Sill, Alan Alan.Sill at ttu.edu
Mon Oct 30 11:59:54 PDT 2023

Dear OGF colleagues,

For those attending SuperComputing 2023 in Denver, the Open Grid Forum will be sponsoring a "25 Years of Grids" celebration at the Beowulf Bash at 9 pm - midnight Monday, November 13 to mark a quarter of a century since the SC'98 Grid BoF that resulted in a major turning point in development of grid computing. OGF will have its own room to facilitate finding each other and having discussions, with free mobility between this and the other rooms of the Beowulf Bash.

This event has been arranged with the cooperation of many who were involved in the SC'98 BoF, many of whom will be there, and is the first of what we expect will be a long series of 25 year anniversaries of major projects that sprang up from the ideas discussed there, including 25 years of the Grid Forum in June 2024, and the quarter-century anniversaries of many related projects.

We'll be happy to update anyone who attends on some projects OGF has in progress, including the revitalization of OGF document production based on our GitHub organizational pages, new methods of document authoring that support online editing, and liaison relationships with other standards developing organizations that have produced a viable path towards republication and reuse of OGF standards for wider reach and longer lifetime. Ideas for new working groups as per the guidelines in GFD.3 and GFD.152 using these new tools are also being accepted.

Admission will be free with an SC'23 badge and the location is a 20 minute walk or short ride-share ride away. See https://beowufbash.com for details, and hope to see you there! Please pass this on to anyone who you think would be interested in attending.

Take care until then!
Alan

Alan Sill, Ph.D
Managing Director, High Performance Computing Center
Adjunct Professor of Physics and Astronomy
Texas Tech University
Drane 159, MS 4-1167
http://www.hpcc.ttu.edu

Co-Director, NSF Center for Cloud and Autonomic Computing
https://nsfcac.org

President, Open Grid Forum
https://www.ogf.org

e-mail: Alan.Sill at ttu.edu