[wg-all] Call for OGF group meetings at upcoming advanced computing conferences

Sill, Alan alan.sill at ttu.edu
Mon May 22 03:52:57 EDT 2017

Dear OGF group members and participants,

After a long delay while we re-calibrated our relations with working groups, we are interested once again in co-sponsoring activities at conferences and workshops related to high performance and high availability advanced distributed computing.

Opportunities are available at the 2017 SASO/ICAC conferences, Part of FAS* - Foundations and Applications of Self* Systems co-located with the International Conference on Cloud and Autonomic Computing (ICCAC), to be held at the University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA 18-22 September 2017 (http://autonomic-conference.org) and at the 2017 IEEE/ACM Utility and Cloud Computing (UCC, http://ucc-conference.org) and Big Data Computing And Technology (BDCAT, http://bdcat-conference.org) conferences to be held in Austin, Texas, USA 5-8 December, 2017. The ICCAC conference includes the 5th International Workshop on Autonomic Management of high performance Grid and Cloud Computing (AMGCC'17), and the UCC and BDCAT conferences are expected to include several workshops of interest to the OGF community.

We are also aware of plans for NSI group meetings and related activities to be held at the TNC17 Networking Conference to be held in Linz, Austria 29 May - 2 June 2017 (https://tnc17.geant.org).

We would be interested interested in hearing of any workshops or conferences at which OGF groups would like to meet, or of interest in a plenary OGF meeting of the sort previously held at various locations throughout the world. If you are interested in hosting such a meeting, please send a reply to this email or contact any of the group leaders, area directors and/or officers listed on the "Areas and Groups" portion of the OGF web site. Current officers are as follows:

  *   President: Alan Sill, Texas Tech University (USA)
  *   Vice President of Standards: Jens Jensen, Rutherford Appleton Laboratory (United Kingdom)
  *   Vice President of Community: Wolfgang Ziegler, Fraunhofer SCAI (Germany)
  *   Editor: Gregory Newby, Compute Canada (Canada)
  *   Andrew Grimshaw, University of Virginia (Chair)

OGF had an active publishing year in 2016 and still has several documents in the pipeline. For details, see our published documents page at https://www.ogf.org/ogf/doku.php/documents/documents. To remain active and to allow the broadest use of the paradigms we have developed to gather input, develop, review and publish information that remains of use to the community, we are anticipating several changes to OGF public policies and procedures that will be intended to open up these processes even further for side use by the community, in particular the community of people who are interested in technical topics related to distributed computing, networking, data transfer and storage. We realize that OGF has to develop, adapt, and change and to develop new community and working groups to keep track of new efforts of use to the community.

Please respond to let us know of group meetings you are planning and/or would like to see at any of the above events. Please also let us know of other conferences, workshops, tutorials or activities that you would like to call tot he attention of your colleagues at other locations. Please also let us know how the OGF officers can help facilitate these activities, which to be effective, must be drawn from the community.

Alan Sill, Ph.D

Senior Director, High Performance Computing Center
Co-Director, NSF Center for Cloud and Autonomic Computing
Adjunct Professor of Physics, Texas Tech University
President, Open Grid Forum

:  Alan Sill, Texas Tech University  Office: Drane 159, MS 4-1167  :
:  e-mail: Alan.Sill at ttu.edu   ph. 806-834-5940  fax 806-834-4358  :