[wg-all] The History of the Grid: Comments invited (via Ian Foster)

Sill, Alan alan.sill at ttu.edu
Tue Jan 7 13:23:18 EST 2014

Dear OGF colleagues,

In addition to the message just sent regarding OGF 40 and the associated meetings in Oxford and nearby in Abingdon, we would like to call to your attention the following article and blog post by Ian Foster requesting comments regarding the history of the grid and asking for critiques and potential additions or corrections to this article.

I am sure that both Ian and Carl would appreciate all responses to this request. For further information, please follow the links below.

"The History of the Grid: Comments invited:

Two years ago, Carl Kesselman and I published a rather lengthy paper that purports to recount the "history of the grid." (I. Foster, C. Kesselman, The History of the Grid (PDF), in Cloud Computing and Big Data, IOS Press, Amsterdam , 2013; 37 pages, 176 references).

We believe that this paper includes useful material. We also know that it can be much improved, and to that end we plan a second edition. We invite suggestions for improvements. For example: What did we get wrong? What work did we forget to mention? What do you see as the most important accomplishments of the grid community? The most important influences? The most egregious failures? Please feel free to email directly (See “Contact" in the menu on the page linked below) or make a comment. Reference line number(s), if you can. We cannot promise to address every suggestion, but we will consider them all carefully."

Links:
http://www.ianfoster.org/wordpress/2014/01/01/history-of-the-grid/
http://www.ianfoster.org/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/History-of-the-Grid-numbered.pdf

Alan