[wg-all] Request for feedback: Cloud Plugfest and Implementation Groups Day Dec. 12, 2014 following / in association with UCC 2014

Sill, Alan alan.sill at ttu.edu
Wed Aug 6 12:18:35 EDT 2014

Dear OGF folks,

We are putting the final touches on OGF 42 plans for the colocation with the Cloud and Autonomic Computing conference and associated parallel events Sep. 1-12 in London and should have that schedule published for you shortly. As a reminder, the early registration for this event, which includes all activities of both OGF and the CAC 2014 conference sessions including the associated breaks, poster session and social events as described on the CAC 2014 site, has been extended to August 15.

In planning for this event we heard from many who liked the co-location because they will be at one r another of the co-located conferences, and from others who would prefer a less expensive OGF-only location for some meetings.  It is hard to do both, but we think we have found an another such location.

At nearly the same location in early December is the Utility and Cluster Computing conference (UCC 2014, http://computing.derby.ac.uk/ucc2014/ ), which will have over a dozen associated workshops (18 at last count, including one that Morris Reidel and I are co-chairing as indicated below - see http://computing.derby.ac.uk/ucc2014/workshops/ for details).

While encouraging attendance at all of the associated events of interest and encouraging both talking about OGF technologies and promoting the submission and production of new OGF work along the lines of the topics discussed there (e.g., new informational, community practice or experimental documents, etc.), we do not have any plans to hold an OGF per se as part of UCC 2014. The location of Imperial College, which is near the UCC 2014 venue, is possibly available to us for example the day after the conference ends, which would be Friday Dec. 12, and if so we would like to assess the interest of the community in holding one or more OGF sessions there after completion of the UCC 2014. This could be done at very low comparative cost and could make a quite handy location to hold things like a Cloud Plugfest and other meetings, concentrating for example this time on implementations of interest to our community (both of OGF and non-OGF technologies) and exploration of new, fast-moving technologies like application of grid methods in container and cloud settings, etc.

If you would be interested in attending such a low-cost extension to follow after the activities of the UCC 2014 conference, please let me know or communicate your thoughts through your group leader or area director. Feel free to discuss this with your colleagues for example on any OGF group list you may be on before responding.

For now, I'd like to call your attention to one of the workshops for UCC 2014 co-chaired by Morris Reidel and myself that is very much in the spirit of the topics discussed above, and invite you to send in a submission by the September 15, 2014 deadline:

First International Workshop on
Standards and Pre-Standards Topics in Clouds, Big Data and Data Analytics (SCBDA)
To be held in conjunction with
7th IEEE/ACM International Conference on Utility and Cloud Computing (UCC 2014)
London, UK, 8th – 11th December 2014

Website:
http://www.fz-juelich.de/ias/jsc/EN/Expertise/Workshops/Conferences/scbda-2014.html

Submissions should be sent via EasyChair:
https://easychair.org/conferences/?conf=scbda14

(This event calls for a Cloud Plugfest anyway, so it would be easy to make this coincident with the OGF event mentioned above.)

Alan