[wg-all] OGF submission to the Google Summer of Code for 2011

Alan Sill alan.sill at ttu.edu
Wed Mar 9 05:38:34 CST 2011

Dear OGF colleagues,

OGF is considering a submission to the Google Summer of Code for projects that can engage attention and action from student participants and for which we can provide the required level of commitment from project participants as mentors.

An OGF project page has been set up at the following link to collect details.  We would like to high-quality project ideas for which we can identify specific mentors who are willing to take on this role at a level that would be commensurate with the goals of the program and the community practices of OGF as an organization.

Peter Tröger, Andre Merzky, Shantenu Jha and Thijs Metsch have done the majority of work in getting the GSoC application organized and the OGF project pages to this point.  Joel Replogle will submit it on behalf of OGF, if the Board approves in its upcoming meeting later this week.

Here is the link to the current GSoC OGF project pages

http://forge.ogf.org/sf/projects/gsoc_2011

Please note the due date for submission for OGF as a mentoring organization is March 11, 23:00 UTC.  We have a couple of days after that point to tune any project pages, so your attention to these materials and this topic ahead of this deadline, along with receipt of any input or comments would be appreciated.  We are accepting and incorporating further ideas, and encourage you to communicate with Peter, Andre, Shantenu and Thijs as needed and/or to send any comments or questions to me as soon as possible.

Further links as background:

http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code/wiki/AdviceforMentors

http://en.flossmanuals.net/GSoCMentoringGuide

FAQs:
http://www.google-melange.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2011/faqs

Thanks,
Alan

Alan Sill, Ph.D
Senior Scientist, High Performance Computing Center
Adjunct Professor of Physics, TTU
VP of Standards, Open Grid Forum