[wg-all] OGF 32 thanks; Science Agency Uses workshgop results; OGF 33 plans; +postscript: article covering OCCI in InfoQ

Alan Sill Alan.Sill at ttu.edu
Tue Jul 19 15:11:26 CDT 2011

Dear OGF WG members,

Thank you all very much for an excellent set of standards sessions and great productivity in terms of progress and output at OGF 32 in Salt Lake City.  Speaking just for the Standards area, I was greatly encouraged by the progress made, and as an organization Open Grid Forum seems well-poised to continue on its long streak of productive output for the community.

A copy of the wrap-up talk, missing only a few sessions which we will try to add later, is now posted in the OGF 32 materials at
http://www.ogf.org/OGF32/materials/2336/OGF32+Closing+Plenary.pdf

We'll update the left-hand sidebar links on the main OGF site to point to this and other related items of interest shortly.

Also, the "Workshop on Science Agency Uses of Clouds and Grids" held immediately after OGF 32 finished went very well. We're very pleased to have received a strong response from the community to this workshop in terms of submitted talks, and ended up with a densely packed schedule for the event.  Copies of these talks are available on the workshop site at the link below now for your perusal.  Clearly this area is a strong theme for OGF, and future workshops will be planned with a format  that will include far more time for general discussion.

Workshop link: http://www.ogf.org/SAUCG/

Registration is open and the corresponding Call for Sessions is also already open for OGF 33 ti be held in Lyon, France.  Information on all of this  is online at http://www.ogf.org/OGF33/ .  This joint event is hosted by EGI and the Institut des Grilles du CNRS, the French National Grid Initiative, together with the EGI-InSPIRE project

Finally, I'd like to call your attention to an excellent article just published today by Andy Edmonds, Thijs Metsch and Eugene Luster in InfoQ covering OGF's OCCI standards and its possible interoperable use with other recent industry efforts to create an open, interoperable cloud.  The article, which has the title "An Open, Interoperable Cloud" is online now at the link below.

http://www.infoq.com/articles/open-interoperable-cloud

Thanks very much once again, and please keep going on your excellent work.

Alan

Alan Sill, Ph.D
Senior Scientist, High Performance Computing Center
Adjunct Professor of Physics, TTU
Vice President of Standards, Open Grid Forum