[wg-all] DRAFT US NIST SP 500-293: Comments due December 2, 2011, and related US Science Cloud Computing topics

Alan Sill Alan.Sill at ttu.edu
Thu Dec 1 10:57:43 CST 2011

Dear OGF and related colleagues,

For those of you who may wish to participate in review of the US
National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Cloud Computing
Technology Roadmap, please note that comments are due by December 2,
2011 on the current, nearly final version.

Information on the roadmap Volumes I and II is below.  Please use the
comment template as in the indicated link to provide your comments.
This is a valuable and important part of community review of these
documents, to which we have provided significant input as they have
been developed over the past year to 18 months.

Review and comment are expected and invited from both US-based and non-
US participants on an open basis.While the primary emphasis of this
effort is on understanding, categorizing and providing a proper
description of cloud computing for the US Federal government, the NIST
definitions and categorizations have already been picked up by many
other organizations and countries, and are of interest on a wider basis.

In the US, the primary emphasis on understanding of cloud computing
for scientific settings is being carried out with the help of the US
National IT R&D Large Scale Networking group through its Middleware
and Grid Infrastructure Coordination (MAGIC) group.  We have had many
positive interactions with the MAGIC effort within OGF, and have run
two successful workshops on cloud and grid related topics that you may
want to look at in preparing your responses.  Links to these workshops
are as follows:

2011 Workshop on High Performance Applications of Cloud and Grids:
http://www.ogf.org/HPACG

2011 Workshop on Science Agency Uses of Clouds and Grids:
http://www.ogf/org/SAUCG

Further ideas for related workshops and events are solicited.

Meanwhile, your input to the US NIST Technology Roadmap is recruited
and requested by the deadline of Dec. 2, 2011.

Please feel free to contact me or the above-mentioned groups directly
if you have other related questions or input.

Alan Sill, Ph.D
Senior Scientist, High Performance Computing Center
Adjunct Professor of Physics, TTU
Vice President of Standards, Open Grid Forum

:  Alan Sill, Texas Tech University  Office: Drane 162, MS 4-1167  :
:  e-mail: Alan.Sill at ttu.edu   ph. 806-834-5940  fax 806-834-4358  :

Begin forwarded message: