[voms-proc-wg] [Nsi-wg] OGF NSI networking architecture and need for certificates with restricted user base

John MacAuley macauley at es.net
Thu Jul 31 12:21:59 EDT 2014

Yes, I was indeed mixing authentication and basic authorization.  I have solved the issue by adding certification DN authorization in Apache after the TLS session is established.  It is just too bad TLS gets established in the first place with these wide ranging CAs.  Seems a bit senseless in the grand scheme of security.

Java based implementations can override the default SSL Engine to give customized handling of the certificates, which solves my problem during the negotiation phase.  Unfortunately, not everyone can do this.

"Self-signed certificates will not scale." - It really depends on the deployment requirements of the application.  We are discussing control plane peering of service agents, of which an organization will typically have a handful to tens for the foreseeable future.  I would not use self-signed for use cases where I am dealing with 100 - 1,000s of clients.  In that case it definitely does not scale.  However, having to provision 1,000s of access control lists to restrict access does not scale as well.  If this was the case an entirely different solution would be required that does not depend on SSL/TLS for anything other than encryption.

As they say, six of one, half a dozen of the other.

Thank you for the feedback.

John