[UR-WG] Next phone meeting on 30th of April at 15:00

Andrea Cristofori andrea.cristofori at cnaf.infn.it
Thu May 9 11:52:12 EDT 2013

Dear all,

No one was present at last Tuesday phone meeting. I think that maybe we
should continue the discussion for a while only offline on the mailing
list. What do you think?
What do you also think about what I wrote some days ago (I copy it here)?

Just a reminder for today's phone meeting.
We could discuss the GPU accounting suggested by John Gordon.
I think that, among the proposed solutions, I prefer the second one:

2. Repeat the computeusageblock - there is no identifier that would
distinguish between 2 instances of the block. If there were then we
could have two instances, one for CPU and one for GPU. The fields like,
cpu count and total CPU would be different in each and could be treated
separately or together because they are recorded together in the same
UR. Another problem is that we do not identify the type of processor so
we could not parse to distinguish between multiple blocks.

I think we could just slightly modify the present definition by adding
one or two field on the ComputeUsageBlock. Something like
CPUArchitecture or CPUFamily. Then if both CPU and GPU are used the UR
could just contain two block of this type one that include the usage for
the CPU and one for the GPU. Also the UR document would require minor
changes.

Anyway I would wait for the end of the public comment on UR2.0 and then
release a UR2.1 if necessary. While we are working to the new version we
could also think to application accounting. This could be maybe solved
by just adding a new block. Probably we should start investigating what
are the fields required for it.

Cheers,
Andrea