[UR-WG] Usage Record feedback

Andrea Cristofori andrea.cristofori at cnaf.infn.it
Wed Jul 24 11:09:52 EDT 2013

Hi Andre, Fotis,

On 07/23/2013 01:19 PM, Andre Merzky wrote:
> Hi Andrea, Fotis,
>
> On Tue, Jul 23, 2013 at 12:16 PM, Andrea Cristofori
> <andrea.cristofori at cnaf.infn.it> wrote:
>>> * You may wish to provide the ability to report "container job ID", ref.
>>>
>>> http://oar.imag.fr/sources/2.5/docs/documentation/OAR-DOCUMENTATION-USER/#container-jobs
>>>   As name suggests it permits to first make a reservation there run your jobs
>>> in it;
>>>   it can be a useful feature for billing, eg. if you organize an HPC school
>>>   and, would rather wish to avoid charging twice, for trainee jobs within
>>> trainer's job.
>>>   (just an example, they have many more uses)
>>
>> I am not sure why this would be necessary. If the accounting takes is based
>> only on the CPU time then there should be no problem on how many processes
>> are or jobs are run. But maybe I am missing something here.

> I think this is similar to pilot jobs: a pilot (container) is
> submitted to a batch system, and once executed, that pilot job will
> run many smaller subjobs on its own.  So, pilots are basically a user
> level scheduling overlay over the batch system.
>
> IIUC, Fotis' use case is if a container job is submitted under account
> (A), and the subjobs are started under account (B), (C) etc.  -- then
> accounting should ideally be done to (B), (C)....

If this is the case I think it should be already covered by the actual
definition. Each job and subjob will have its single record and can be
assigned to different user. While I guess two jobs can overlap, meaning
that they are running at the same time, I do not think that there is the
risk to count the same CPU time for two different processes.
I think the tricky part is to write a sensor that can distinguish the
resource consumption of the different job/subjobs.

Andrea