[UR-WG] New Draft available and next phone meeting

Ralph Mueller-Pfefferkorn ralph.mueller-pfefferkorn at tu-dresden.de
Thu Jan 3 10:59:10 EST 2013

Hi there,

I started to read carefully through our document. Gone through the
Intro, Compute, Job, Memory and References. I will go on tomorrow.

My first comments/correction are below. I also attached a pdf with my
changes, as I have not yet checked in the changes into git at redmine.

Regards,
Ralph

General:
For every property we sould use the same beginning:
Currently we have both:
"This property describes the class of memory used."
or
"The class of memory used."
The latter is shorter and doesn't use the boring repetition. I changed
it everywhere.

Changed everywhere to the common notation:
Host MUST be a string.
instead of "The Host field type MUST be a string."
Both were used in the document.

Did some fixes in spelling and grammatical changes.

Introduction:
What is 1.2 intended for?

ComputeUsageBlock:

Processors:
We don't mention cores. For example a node with two processors and 4
cores each. 8 serial jobs can run there. I added a sentence:
"In addition, a processor can consist of several cores which may be used
independently. In the example above the use of dual-core processors
would thus increase the number to 64."

Deleted the second charge block in compute usage and moved the
description of the the attributes from the bullets to the text.

Charge is now used to describe a currency. But IIRC our discussion it
was not meant this way but be more a weight or allocation unit.
It is now in the compute usage block, but wasn't it meant to be a job
charge?
See http://redmine.ogf.org/projects/ur-wg/wiki/ConsideredURFieldsJobs

JobUsageBlock:

Is not only intended for batch systems, but Grid, Cloud, a local
computer or whatever. Therefore we should not only talk about batch
systems e.g. in LocalJobId. It can be any local ID, not necessarily the
LRMS ID. Otherwise we restrict this blocks usage.

The definition of "MachineName" is too restrictive (only batch). I used
the one from our Wiki.

For "SubmitHost" it is stated:
In a grid environment \emph{SubmitHost} MUST be present.
But I doubt that a site can always find out from where the job was
submitted.

I would not see "Middleware" as a MUST.

ServiceLevel reports now a normalization factor. I don't understand what
the service level has to do with the normalization.
In the Wiki we had it defined as "This property identifies the quality
of service associated with the resource consumption. For example,
service level may represent a priority associated with the usage."

The "Host or DestinationResource" is missing, which is the node/host at
which the job ran. I would pledge for the name "ExecutionNode"

MemoryUsageBlock:
The *CapacitiyUsed should be positive integers.