[UR-WG] GPU Accounting

john.gordon at stfc.ac.uk john.gordon at stfc.ac.uk
Wed Apr 10 06:36:31 EDT 2013

Guys, there is a workshop today on use of GPGPU in EGI. I am looking at accounting. Has anyone considered how we include this in UR2?

Options I thought of are:

1. Extend the computeusageblock - have a second field for CPU used on attached processor. This would also need some way to identify the type. Currently we have a count of processors and the sum of cpu use. We can't add CPU+GPU so we would need to duplicate several fields

2. Repeat the computeusageblock - there is no identifier that would distinguish between 2 instances of the block. If there were then we could have two instances, one for CPU and one for GPU. The fields like, cpu count and total CPU would be different in each and could be treated separately or together because they are recorded together in the same UR. Another problem is that we do not identify the type of processor so we could not parse to distinguish between multiple blocks.

3. A new block AttachedProcUsageBlock

Any other thoughts?

John
--