[UR-WG] Storage Accounting Discussion

john.gordon at stfc.ac.uk john.gordon at stfc.ac.uk
Tue Nov 29 04:52:43 CST 2011

I was actioned to provide some text for discussion about the issue I raised at the Lyon UR-WG meeting. I am having problems logging in to GridForge right now so I am sending this round so that people see it before today's call. I am travelling this afternoon so I will need to find wireless to use Skype unless someone can advise me on calling in from a physical phone.

Regards,

John

Publishing Allocated Space:

The current StAR proposal only records the 'usage' of storage - ie the space taken up by user files. I propose that it should also contain a field containing the total size of the storage area under consideration. To support this I draw a parallel with the cpu UR where both cpu and wallclock are recorded. The record thus shows the effect of a job on the resource - how long it occupied the node - and the actual usage it made during this time.

In the storage case the corresponding data is the total disk space allocated to a user/VO/whatever and the amount filled by files.

I believe there is a use case for charging for allocated space, not used space, so these data need collecting.

One solution would be to have two flavours of StAR: one for total, one for used, not necessarily cut at the same time or frequency. I prefer an additional field in a single StAR just to ensure that measurements are correlated and accounting systems don't have to spend time/effort in matching them.
--
Scanned by iCritical.