[UR-WG] Survey Design

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Fri Dec 14 09:59:14 CST 2007

Hi everyone

First let me apologize for letting things slide for a while; I've been
up to my ears in the project I work on.

We need to start work on designing the survey to gather experiences with
the UR 1.0 format. I'm not quite sure how to go about this, but I
suppose a good way to start would be to provide some kind of template
for people to fill in. So I'm going to write some random ideas I have
for what we should be asking; chime in if you think I'm right or wrong.

   Name & Contact Email
   Project/Product
   Prose Description of Use

   Structured Use Characterization:
      Which UR1.0 Elements do you support? (Table, one row per spec
      element)

        Element Name | Generate | Parse
        -------------+----------+-------
         UsageRecord |    yes   |  yes

      What extensions do you put in a Usage Record?

        e.g. executable name, working directory, arguments

      When do you generate usage records?

        At job start.
        At job end.
        At points during the job.
            What triggers the generation?
        After the job has run from other captured data.
            Corresponding to whole job?
            Corresponding to events within job?

      What do you do with Usage Records after generating them?

Is there anything else that we ought to ask about?

I should note here that the OGSA HPC Profile WG is looking into the
collection of usage data from simple jobs, and that they are minded to
use UR1.0 as the basis for this.

Donal.