[UR-WG] UR Group Chairs

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Wed Aug 8 04:56:35 CDT 2007

Hi everyone

As we all know, Laura's planning to step down as chair of this group due
to changing priorities. Thanks for your efforts, Laura; they've helped
us finally get URv1 out.

But we know we need to go further; there is a need for improvements to
the usage record scheme to take into account today's (and tomorrow's)
requirements, especially in the areas of non-compute resources and
aggregate records. We also need to progress the URv1 to having some
experience documents; I believe there is experience with it out there on
the basis of things we've seen during the public comment period, so it
would be great to collect these together and publish them. This means we
need to get some new chairs; three would be ideal, but without any
nothing will get done.

To that end, I propose myself, Donal Fellows (of the University of
Manchester) as one chair. I'm also told that Xiaoyu Chen (of Brunel
University?) is willing to be another; his assistance will be very
welcome. As I noted, a third chair would be very helpful, and I for one
would prefer it if it was someone with more industrial experience (and
not UK-centric); although the large-scale academic Grids are important
use-areas for UR, we really need to have a broader scope so that we
don't miss stuff. But with two proposed chairs we'll be able to progress
work anyway.

Which brings us to the next step: charter revisions. Any ideas or shall
we just add another deliverable or two? :-)

Donal.