[UR-WG] Comment on duration format for WallDuration and CpuDuration

Carl Wright wright at servicelevel.net
Thu Sep 21 08:32:28 CDT 2006

Folks:

Please remember that all this measuring and processing of measurements
is about the allocation of resources and of money.

What is the cost to you and your partners of ambiguity in measurement?

How hard will it be to move to new processes using this data? You'll
certainly see new applications for processing this information.

Will research not get done because of disagreements over the allocation
of this money (cost)?

What decisions can we make that will make it easier for people to
cooperate and get the work we support done?

Carl A. Wright
Service Level Corporation
+1 734-827-2000 ext. 219 (voice)
+1 734-827-2200 (fax)
http://www.servicelevel.net/

PS: I think standards are useful, but I was disturbed by comments that
treated standards as though they were gold-plated. The fact that an ISO
or EU standard exists matters little if it doesn't serve our goals.
Those standards were made by mere mortals like ourselves with their
independent goals that they were striving for. I'm not arguing against
using them, just use them with our goals in mind.