[UR-WG] LAST CALL - Usage Record Format Recommendation - Version 1

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Sep 21 05:39:41 CDT 2006

Laura F McGinnis wrote:
>>  * Appendix D title is in wrong style; must have been marked
>>as Courier,
>>    9pt by accident.
>
> By design, so that the lines don't split unnecessarily (see your comment
> about setting the Examples in setion 14 to Courier 9pt).

Well, I'd put the appendix title at least in the usual font; the font
size is less irksome there. Not that I mind if the title wraps; it's
line wrapping in the middle of an XML attribute value that I don't care for.

>>  * The cells of the survey results table (section A-2, pages 44-49)
>>    would be better off being marked as having North West
>>cell alignment
>
> What does "North West cell alignment" mean?

Umm, it means "top left". I tend to think of cell alignments in terms of
compass directions. :-)

In table cells you can control not only whether they are left or right
aligned, but also whether they are top/bottom aligned (used when they
don't fill all the space available due to other cells on the same line
having more visual lines of content). When I set this in my documents, I
select the cells I want to change, right-click to get the context menu
and pick the likely looking thing off a submenu.

>>  * Appendix C should note that SI usage requires "kiB" for
>>1024 bytes,
>>    "MiB" for 1024 kiB, etc. It's stupid, but "standard". It's also a
>>    large part of the reason why JSDL dropped putting units in. :-\
>
> What is "SI Usage"? How should this be noted in Appendix C?

Apparently, we're supposed to use 1MB to refer to 1000000 bytes and 1MiB
to refer to 1048576 bytes (== 1024kiB, 1kiB == 1024 bytes). I hate this
usage, but it is standard. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Binary_prefix
has lots of gory details, including links to more discussion.

I prefer to put everything in bytes or bits and use very big numbers. :-)

> Everything else has been corrected or is OK ("extra commas" are a British
> versus American issue :)).

I just highlight them because Word's grammar checker doesn't like them
(and yes, it was using the US grammar engine at that point). :-)

Donal.