[UR-WG] Comment on duration format for WallDuration andCpuDuration

Donal K. Fellows donal.k.fellows at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Sep 21 05:13:57 CDT 2006

Bart Heupers wrote:
> Of course I am in control over what I produce, but I have to interpret
> and use what others produce, and I don't want other systems to give the
> possibility to add uncertainty where it is not needed.

But you're the one adding uncertainty by trying to convert everything
into seconds. If you stop doing that, the uncertainty goes away. If
people are accounting for stuff in months (I've no idea why they would)
then it is false accuracy to pretend that it anything else.

> With the 6 decimal digits for seconds I meant 6 decimal digits after the
> dot and a arbitrary number of digits before the dot just as this was
> specified in the ISO8601.

Oh, the fractional part. I see no point in specifying how precise that
should be in the standard; there are too many nasties lurking.

Donal.