[UR-WG] Comment on duration format for WallDuration and CpuDuration

Thomas Soddemann Thomas.Soddemann at rzg.mpg.de
Thu Sep 21 04:56:19 CDT 2006

Donal K. Fellows wrote:
> Thomas Soddemann wrote:
>
>> I guess the XSD Spec is a little vague here. They state that for the
>> element "duration" ISO8601 is applied which also allows the kind of
>> durations you refer to as time periods, but their examples are only in
>> the [-]P... format.
>>

> Both of these references:
>    http://www.w3schools.com/schema/schema_dtypes_date.asp
>    http://books.xmlschemata.org/relaxng/ch19-77073.html
> state that xsd:duration is to use the [-]P... format, as does the core
> spec at:
>    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xmlschema-2/#duration
> It's in the first paragraph of section 3.2.6.1.
>
> Donal.
> --

Yep, that's what I meant. ISO 8601 defines durations plus the optional
reference date. In the spec
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xmlschema-2/#duration it is defined that the
duration is in the format of ISO8601 which would allow to specify that
optional date in front of the [-]P.
But a discussion on if the XSD spec is precise enough or not does not
cover Bart's point.

Anyway, I agree with you, that the format [-]P... allows to express a
duration in a very precise way, which should cover all or at least most
of the requirements of implementors.

Thomas

 Dr. Thomas Soddemann     |  Boltzmannstrasse 2
 Projects Engineer        |  85748 Garching
 Rechenzentrum der MPG    |  Germany
 am MPI fuer Plasmaphysik |