[UR-WG] Comment on duration format for WallDuration andCpuDuration

Bart Heupers bart at sara.nl
Thu Sep 21 04:37:17 CDT 2006

Hello,

If you add the start date you still don't know how long it is.

2005-08-09T18:31:42P6M4DT12H30M17S

How many seconds is that?

In this case we could agree that 5 months after 2005-08-09 is 2006-01-09
but I have to guess that more or less. It is not specified.  And which
date is 1 month after 2006-01-31 or 5 months after 2005-02-28 or even
worse, 12 months after 2008-2-29.

Perhaps the individual records will not be that long in general, but if
the processing time for a huge number of processors is taken together,
then you easily add up to a number of years. Perhaps, if you want to
avoid big using numbers it is also an idea to specify that in durations
a month is always 30 days, a year 365 days and a day is always 24 hours.
Then the ISO8601 specification is not ambiguous. But I would prefer to
use seconds.

Best regards,

Bart Heupers, HPC Advisor
31 (0) 20 592 8071