[UR-WG] Comment on duration format for WallDuration and CpuDuration

Thomas Soddemann Thomas.Soddemann at rzg.mpg.de
Thu Sep 21 04:01:35 CDT 2006

Donal K. Fellows wrote:
> Thomas Soddemann wrote:
>
>> ISO8601 allows to set the start date for a given period like in
>> 2005-08-09T18:31:42P6M4DT12H30M17S
>> which are 5 months, 4 days, 12hours 30 minutes and 17 seconds after
>> 2005-08-09 18:31:42.
>> So in principle there is no problem with using the ISO format.
>>

> That's not a duration, but rather a time period (which is effectively an
> anchored duration). Supporting that would take deep schema hacking
> (modifying facets of simple types IIRC) unfortunately, and what's worse,
> would not be well supported by tooling.

I guess the XSD Spec is a little vague here. They state that for the
element "duration" ISO8601 is applied which also allows the kind of
durations you refer to as time periods, but their examples are only in
the [-]P... format.

Thomas

 Dr. Thomas Soddemann     |  Boltzmannstrasse 2
 Projects Engineer        |  85748 Garching
 Rechenzentrum der MPG    |  Germany
 am MPI fuer Plasmaphysik |